BlogLaughs

Monday, June 19, 2006

-- 2006 Bloggies Recap --

All 22 nominees in the humor category for the 2006 Bloggies have been reviewed. Three of the five Bloggie finalists (in bold) made it into our Top-5:


  1. Dooce (94.3)
  2. Overheard in New York (81.7)
  3. The Superficial (81.5)
  4. Go Fug Yourself (89.8)
  5. You Can't Make It Up (86.3)

Dooce has won several Bloggies in the past, and some bloggers are perhaps a little tired of her. I can understand why she wasn't nominated in this category. On a smaller scale, the same goes for Go Fug Yourself.

The two finalists who didn't make our Top-5, Fark and Stuff on My Cat, don't really appeal to everyone. You can read our reviews here and here.

CONTENT

  1. Dooce (8.4)
  2. Overheard in New York (8.3)
  3. The Superficial (8.2)
  4. Go Fug Yourself (8.0)
  5. You Can't Make It Up (7.6)

Since 70 percent of our final score is based on content, it is no surprise the Top-5 blogs in this group are the same as the Top-5 overall. The lowest score for content was DUmmie FUnnies (4.5).

(BTW, all of these category scores are on a scale of 1-10. The overall scores are on a 100-point scale.)

DESIGN

  1. Words For My Enjoyment (8.9)
  2. Defamer (8.3)
  3. Dooce (8.2)
  4. The Superficial (8.0)
  5. Everything Is Wrong With Me (7.3)

All five of these blogs have very good designs for what they do. The highest scores in this category were professional, simple, and reader-friendly. The lowest score for design was Fafblog (3.3).

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR

  1. Dooce (9.2)
  2. Words For My Enjoyment (8.9)
  3. The Dilbert Blog (8.8)
  4. Defective Yeti (8.7)
  5. Go Fug Yourself (8.5)

Not much to complain about here. Most of these people write for a living. It shows. The lowest score for quality of writing/grammar was Stuff On My Cat (3.3).

INTANGIBLES

  1. Stuff On My Cat (8.4)
  2. Dooce (8.1)
  3. JonnyB's Secret Private Diary (7.5)
  4. Cute Overload (7.4)
  5. You Can't Make It Up (7.3)

Popular blogs tend to have more annoying elements than other blogs. These five blogs kept these negatives at a bare minimum, or at least did it in a relatively tasteful manner. The lowest score for intangibles was TVgasm (4.1).

FREQUENCY
If these 22 very different, but popular blogs have anything in common it is frequency. Sixteen of these blogs post everyday, sometimes several times a day. Four more post about three times a week. Only one blog posts once a week (Mimi Smartypants) and one was on hiatus (Fafblog) at the time of the review. Fafblog rarely posted more than once a week anyway, so it was no surprise it managed no points in this category.

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY
  1. Overheard in New York (84%)
  2. Dooce (77%)
  3. The Superficial (77%)
  4. Go Fug Yourself (75%)
  5. You Can't Make It Up (71%)

On one hand, these are the five most-popular blogs we have reviewed. On the other hand, this category baffles me more than any other. I have had several reviewers give 10s in each of the previous categories only to say they wouldn't read a blog regularly. I'm still trying to figure that one out, but it's OK. The lowest score in this category was Fafblog with 0%.

OVERALL
The overall scores for these 22 blogs are listed in the sidebar. Eventually, I will only list the Top-50 blogs and some of these will fall off the list.

I will discuss the Best of Blogs Awards tomorrow, featuring the finalists in the humor category. Reviews will resume Thursday and Friday.

6 Comments:

  • Maybe a reviewer recognizes a great looking site with excellent writing, but the subject matter doesn't warrant return visits.

    For example, I don't read political blogs. But I've come across a few that were excellent. It's just not my thing.

    By Blogger The Phoenix, at June 20, 2006 11:13 AM  

  • Yes, but the subject matter *is* the content.

    They're saying the content is perfect. The design is perfect. The writing is perfect. The site does nothing to piss them off.

    Everything is perfect ... but it's not quite good enough to read regularly.

    What?

    Wouldn't you think that "not liking" a particular type of blog would sway your opinion of, at least, the content?

    I'm not telling anyone how to rate a particular blog, I just find it interesting.

    I think its very obvious that 50 people are very rarely going to feel the same way about anything.

    As a matter of fact, if Fafblog had not been on an extended hiatus at the time, I'm sure a few of our 50+ reviewers would have said they would read it regularly.

    So far, that's the only time all of us have agreed on anything.

    After looking at hundreds of reviews to this point, I can't imagine 50 people going outside and agreeing that the sky is blue. :)

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 20, 2006 12:53 PM  

  • I think maybe the hitch lies in the word "regularly". I think some of us may, consciously or subconsciously, associate it with the word with "frequently".

    If I read X blog several times a day, Y blog daily, and Z blog once a week, I read all of them regularly. However, it seems as if I read Z blog only occasionally.

    Or maybe I just overanalyze things like this.

    By Blogger Blogarita, at June 21, 2006 6:50 AM  

  • That's true. I think all of these categories mean different things to different people, but this one is just more difficult to interpret.

    My assumption that this category would be more "cut and dry" is simply wrong.

    I've been wrong before, so I'll get over it. :)

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 21, 2006 7:01 AM  

  • Wow, there's over 50 reviewers!? Cool. I didn't know.

    I find all these statistics to be really interesting. I don't know the answers to the questions raised here but I can say that I often wonder if I'm doing the reviews "properly". I'm just a 'person off the street' and I have the feeling I'm mixed in with other more "professional" bloggers/writers/reviewers/whatever. I haven't even managed to upkeep a blog of my own, so who am I to rate what others are doing?!

    I agree that the 'problem' is most likely due to each person's interpretation of the categories. 50 people aren't going to interpret everything the same way.

    Interesting.

    By Blogger Grace, at June 21, 2006 10:07 AM  

  • Yeah, there's like 56 on the list right now. Not everyone responds to every e-mail, but most of them take part on a semi-regular basis.

    (BTW, I'd like to get more than 100 reviewers. If you know of anyone have them send an e-mail to bloglaughs@hotmail.com.)

    I like the statistical comparisons too. I admit all of this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still pretty neat. It reminds me of taking part in a fantasy sports league.

    Don't worry about not being "worthy" of rating these blogs. The Bloggies select three sets of 50 random people to pick finalists. The BOB awards in each category were selected by two or three volunteer judges.

    Our 50+ reviewers are every bit as qualified as the panels at either of those award sites. Don't worry about it.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 21, 2006 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home