BlogLaughs

Monday, May 15, 2006

Words For My Enjoyment

Words For My Enjoyment garnered the highest ratings we’ve seen for web design and quality of writing. But the words Paul Davidson uses for his enjoyment don’t necessarily have the same effect on everyone.

"Finally, a blog without ads, with a nice, clean design ... but the content doesn't do anything for me."

CONTENT - 6.1
"He’s a decent enough writer, but I just really don’t care about anything he says. I’ve tried to read this blog several times, but I click away about half-way through. This blog just does nothing for me."

"Awesome. I love this. Not only is it a bunch of rambling stories on things that I would totally think about, but he's creative in the way that he describes it. Nice read for a smile and the occasional laugh out loud moment."

"The subjects are not very compelling."

"Just not that interesting to me."

"A whole lot of nothing ... but it looks cool."

DESIGN - 8.9
"I’d love to steal this design."

"Smooth browsing."

"Very clean look."

"Viewer friendly, could've used a graphic."

"I wish I was this good at manipulating the Internet. It's nice, clean, and the Scrabble idea with certain letters is cute. I like it."

"It's brilliant. I wish I could do something like this."

"The layout is nice, clean and easy to navigate. I prefer a favorites section on blogs like this, just because there's so much content. It's nice to allow your readers to easily peruse through some of your highlights. We all have our off days."

"Can I give this design an 11?"

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR - 8.9
"The grammar and writing style is excellent (either that or I'm too illiterate to know any better) and entertaining. I like Paul Davidson's humor style: subtle, insightful and witty. Few people can elaborate on a stand-off in the medicine aisle and make it entertaining."

"Very well written, if I take out the fact that I don’t care about the things he talks about."

"He writes very well, the grammar is nice and it makes it easier for my tired brain to digest everything. He writes the way that I think."

"He’s a very good writer."

INTANGIBLES - 5.6
"Why doesn’t he post the entire post? At least the current post. That extra click pisses me off to no end."

"I don't like having to click to finish reading the story. Other than that, I didn't feel that there was a lot of linking. No distracting ads - YAY for that! The author is cute, too."

"Is this blog just to promote his book? I wasn't sure."

"Looooooooooooooong posts! Yuck!"

FREQUENCY - 10
"He writes every day, and I get the feeling he doesn’t care if we like it or not."

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY - 35% Yes
"Oh, God, no."

"Debated it; Perhaps".

"Yep. I've already added it to my Kinja list."

OVERALL - 63.0
"I don't like long posts. The blog felt too corporate, or clean, or something. It didn't have that homemade, grassroots feeling that blogs should have. Plus, who writes seven paragraphs about a ham croissant? I'd rather watch America's Next Top Model than read that post. How did this guy get a book deal?"

"The site is tailored for readers; not suitable for the ADD-inflicted blog-surfer looking for a quick, two-minute humor-craving or silly picture search. Personally this is my favorite kind of blog: something you can sit and read for a while and get to know the author. It makes me happy to see bloggers like this published author blogging."

5 Comments:

  • Some of your reviewers need to get a life. Pauly D rocks!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 15, 2006 7:14 AM  

  • Haha - have you seen his blog today? Seven paragraphs (not about ham croissants) but chicken wraps!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 15, 2006 9:21 AM  

  • Anon: Of course, some of our reviewers loved Paul's blog. So far no one has managed a perfect score. That's life, man.

    Anon: Yes, I did.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at May 15, 2006 7:13 PM  

  • You know, blog length is a good topic for debate. I know most people like short posts, but then again so many of us bloggers are comment whores and don't even read the entire post anyway.

    I think a post that is deemed longer is perfectly fine, if the writing and the topic is engaging.

    My blog is genre specific, and I'm not going to underestimate the intelligence and attention span of my audience.

    Until I feel like changing it, I'm going to not pay attention to the length of my posts - just the content.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at May 16, 2006 6:55 AM  

  • I think some stories warrant a long post and some don't. Some people just have a tendency to drone on a little too much without getting to the point.

    (BTW, I'm not talking about any specific blog.)

    The good thing about "intangible" category is that some reviewers can downgrade a blog for hitting particular pet peeves (ads, tip jar, long posts, extra clicks, etc...) while others can say, "The long posts on this site don't bother me."

    I like that.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at May 16, 2006 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home