BlogLaughs

Monday, January 29, 2007

Tiny Voices in my Head

The cumulative numbers for Tiny Voices in my Head were pretty respectable, but some of the comments were downright nasty … and not all of them were used.

Mixed review? Yes.

Love it or hate it? You bet.

This blog caught a little bit of everything, getting every number from 0-10 in most categories. Tiny Voices in my Head obviously meant more to some readers than it did to others.

CONTENT – 6.3
“Dawn is witty and engaging and I never fail to be entertained by her blog. Oh yeah, she's funny as hell too.”

“There are approximately 8,437,298 MySpace sites done by little girls with Hello Kitty wallpaper that are more interesting than this site.”

“I love the personal nature of this blog. Dawn seems like a real sweetheart and it comes across in her work.”

“The content is pretty mediocre. There's nothing very unique about her blog, just reading the posts that are right there. I'm sure if I were to dig through her archives, I'd see more creativity.”

“I didn't even crack a smile while reading this blog, much less find anything funny.”

“The dual-comments insanity aside, this is one of my favorite ‘personal’ blogs on the Internet.”

“I read all the entries on the first page and wasn't inspired. And in a show of fairness, I clicked her archives at random, settling on the month of October 2004. After reading all of the posts from that month, my opinion is still neutral.”

“This is good stuff. If there were a female version of me, this would probably be it. Or close to it.”

“I just couldn't connect with the content.”

"It's a real bloggy blog. Some days are better than others."

“I have seen Webmiztris around the Web here and there. We frequent the same blogs, but admittedly, I had not visited hers before. Her blog content is not what I would call funny, so much as conversational and matter of fact. She is not intentionally trying to be amusing. She simply tells a story. If you laugh at the end, great. If you don't, so be it. I actually like that kind of writing.”

“Dawn’s blog is naked truth. It’s not always funny, or smart, or anything, but it’s always Dawn. I like that.”

DESIGN – 7.5
“She has probably the absolute greatest looking blog I've seen. It's very easy to read and the layout is the best.”

“It's not the greatest design, but it's easy to navigate and read. She always has a hot photo of herself in the ‘about me’ section, which would make even a bad design look good, so I have to factor that in my scoring.”

“Her blog design is cute, fits the theme of her page. I can only assume she designed it herself, because her advertisment asking 'do you want a new blog template' leads to her e-mail address. The blog is very clean and neat. She's got everything all rolled up like most Web designers do.”

“It's not that bad, but what's with the two places to comment? The calling thing seems like an invitation to stalkers and other psychos. I can't condone that.”

“Love the header, but it's a bit big. I don't like having to scroll down just to see the first post. I also don't care for the drop-downs in the sidebar. Just list everything and get rid of the ads. But it's a nice design and easy on the eyes.”

“I love the theme and the main graphic a lot. It’s a personal touch for a personal blog. I like it.”

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR – 6.5
“Her writing style is very suitable for what she has to say, and even long entries are a great read because of her breezy prose. About the only thing that bothers me a bit is that she injects an 'LOL' on occasion, which is completely unnecessary and disrupts the rhythm of her writing. Her blog is funny already and doesn't need a laugh track.”

“Ooooh! It's the angry goth girl with dyed black hair and a blue streak, talking a blue streak because she can, because, like, wow, I mean, oh my God, it's the Internet, and we can say whatever we want out here and, like, Mom and Dad can't rag on us about it, you know?”

“I can't give a decent score to anyone who uses the word ‘redonkulous.’”

“The writing is simple, no grammar problems that I noticed and nothing that really stood out as obtrusive. However, she has a whole lot of one-sentence paragraphs. Why? It might work for the whole conversational tone, and perhaps it is meant for dramatic pause now and then. But, every single post? Maybe it's my own personal quirk. I don't know.”

“Again, good stuff. Thoughts are nicely broken up into small, easy-to-read paragraphs. Lots of gratuitous profanity. I like that!”

“Dawn has a casual writing style that fits a personal blog.”

INTANGIBLES – 7.4
“LOVE Dawn, HATE that she has comments running on both Haloscan and Blogger. Why? It's a pain in the ass for readers to have to monitor two threads of comments, and I'm sure it's a pain in the ass for her as well. Dawn has a lot of fans that love her blog, why is she punishing us like this? On the good side, she publishes her entire entries in her webfeed, which is always appreciated. Too bad she buries the link to her feed in a non-descript FeedBurner icon. If she used the more recognizable orange webfeed icon and didn't bury it, I'm sure she would have more than 21 people subscribed.”

“She can have a 7 from me because I don't find her overly annoying.”

“Nice avatar, but I'd like to see a little more skin. I'd like this blog a lot better if my blog was linked in the sidebar!”

“I neither like nor dislike her blog.”

“Having two sets of comments is terrible. I’m not real crazy about the sidebar, but it’s not bad. I don’t like having to make extra clicks, but I guess it’s a necessity.”

FREQUENCY – 9.0
"Dawn averages between four and five posts a week."

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY – 52% Yes
“Already do. Love her.”

“Probably not … nothing stood out for me.”

“Not even if the only other available reading on the planet were Tom Green's autobiography.”

“Yep. Aleady do.”

“I probably wouldn't read this blog on a regular basis.”

“I don't find it compelling or entertaining or enlightening enough for me to incorporate reading it as part of my regular blog reading habits.”

“Yes, love to.”

“Overall, it's just another ordinary blog.”

“Yes, I would read this blog regularly.”

“Perhaps, just because we have mutual friends. Would I die if I missed a day? Probably not.”

OVERALL – 74.5

16 Comments:

  • Please note: Dawn is another one of our reviewers who chose not to take part in reviewing her own blog.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at January 29, 2007 6:23 PM  

  • Thanks for the review!

    Re: the two separate commenting systems, I do it simply because Haloscan and/or Blogger go down so often it's nice to have a backup way to comment. I guess I'll have to nix one system....

    By Blogger Webmiztris, at January 29, 2007 6:30 PM  

  • Thanks for recommending a fun blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2007 8:16 AM  

  • I agreed with the reviewers who said her blog isn't that funny, but by Dawn's own admission it doesn't seem like she is trying to be. I did find it odd, however, that she is a reviewer here but did not seem to take the review very well, as evidenced by her response post.

    By Blogger Peeved Michelle, at January 30, 2007 12:43 PM  

  • I love Dawns blog. It is hysterically funny. She designed my website and I love the way she designs. She is also down to earth and unpretentious.

    By Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic, at January 30, 2007 1:27 PM  

  • ...did not seem to take the review very well...

    Don't be silly. For the most part she did, but some peeps are just nasty for being nasty, like the bitch she quoted. Why should anyone take that kind of unwarranted crap?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2007 3:07 PM  

  • I just re-read my post twice and I can't figure out where I seem pissed about my review.

    I'm only annoyed by a reviewer who, obviously, didn't read ANY of my posts if she thinks I'm goth. I've never written anything goth, relating to goth, no dark poetry, no f*ck the system type of posts (OK, maybe some of those. ;) but overall, I'm not goth in the slightest. Having black hair doesn't mean I'm goth and only a retard wouldn't be able to figure that out.

    Anyway, it's a shame someone would review my blog so crudely based SOLELY on not liking a graphic in the header. She sounds like she might need some meds is all I'm trying to say.

    By Blogger Webmiztris, at January 30, 2007 3:08 PM  

  • I didn't know she was supposed to be funny. I though blogs on personal views existed, but apparently it's taboo.
    Maybe I'm missing something between her great layout and catchy posts.

    **This comment left intentially not funny**

    By Blogger Steve Kenul, at January 30, 2007 3:27 PM  

  • Sorry, webmiztris. In my book, black hair = Goth. But you're a hot Goth chick, so it's ok.

    By Blogger Mighty Dyckerson, at January 30, 2007 4:00 PM  

  • Haven't actually gotten to review much (much less write a lot for my own blog these days) but I do have to say I do love reading Dawn's blog. She has a way of talking about nothing and saying something and boy, does that say a lot.:)

    By Blogger Janet, at January 30, 2007 4:22 PM  

  • peeved michelle said: "I did find it odd, however, that she is a reviewer here but did not seem to take the review very well, as evidenced by her response post."

    What is THAT supposed to mean? Did you even read what she wrote? Obviously not, so here it is again:

    Thanks for the review!

    Re: the two separate commenting systems, I do it simply because Haloscan and/or Blogger go down so often it's nice to have a backup way to comment. I guess I'll have to nix one system....


    There is nothing whatsoever in that comment that connotes Dawn "did not seem to take the review very well" and anyone who says there is obviously has serious reading comprehension problems.

    For the record, I'm a huge Webmiztris fan. She's naturally funny and uses her blog to talk about common everyday stuff that ranges from the weirdly obscure to downright hysterical. I find her so entertaining that rarely a day goes by that I don't click and read what she has to say.

    And from the number of comments she gets, many other people agree with me.

    By Blogger Granny Snark, at January 31, 2007 6:58 AM  

  • I agree that there was nothing in the initial comment to lead the reader that she was upset. Though I'm going to check back at her blog and see if the reference is due to something she posted there.

    By Blogger Maven, at January 31, 2007 9:46 AM  

  • Gawd, if you people don't think Dawn is hilarious, please show me where you DO go for a laugh.

    Dawn is a Grade A quality Blogger person thigie.

    By Blogger brendalove@gmail.com, at February 03, 2007 8:15 PM  

  • What a lame review. Although as usual, insulting a blogger with a readership does improve one´s site hits right?

    By Blogger JCM, at February 04, 2007 9:18 PM  

  • JCM: For the most part this is a positive review. Just because some of our reviewers made negative comments doesn't mean we hate Dawn's blog. It's a good review.

    We don't care about getting hits. We're more interested in finding and discussing good blogs.

    Dawn has a good blog. I'm glad you enjoy it.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at February 05, 2007 7:37 AM  

  • Chill out. I misunderstood her comment about the one review.

    By Blogger Peeved Michelle, at February 07, 2007 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home