BlogLaughs

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bookfraud

Even the reviewers who didn’t like Bookfraud recognize the quality of writing.

That’s a pretty good sign with our bunch, helping to propel Bookfraud to the middle of our Top-50 blogs.

CONTENT – 7.4
“An excellently written blog about life, self-loathing, political rhetoric, with a side of pity parties and witty question and answer segments. But, it is just not funny. Smart and fun, certainly, but not funny. Why is this one being reviewed by BlogLaughs? This is more of a Dennis Miller-type site, not a Dennis Leary. Regardless, I love it.”

“I enjoyed the 'Dear Bookfraud' post.”

“The potential for funny was there ... and then it was gone. Several strong starts but wound up more of a bitch-fest about how hard it is to write and get published.”

“I really liked his posts. He always begins them with some sort of personal anecdote, and then proceeds to either rant about an obscure issue associated with the personal story, or fall into a witty diatribe that takes the topic in a funny direction.”

“I couldn't get into it at all.”

“He tells a good story, and he does so intelligently. I especially like the captions for his pictures. I certainly identify with his self-loathing.”

“I’m not a book guy myself, but he tells a great story. If the posts were a little shorter and the design was cleaner, this blog would be perfect.”

“Filled with the insane wisdom that can only be understood by the amateur wannabee novelist, Bookfraud is a genius at taking all that insecurity and indecision, filing it under ‘horseshit’ and allow you to want to continue your journey into becoming a novelist. He absolutely gets the writers mindset. He puts things into words in such a humorous yet desperate fashion that you can't help but say, oh my god, he's reading my mind! Brilliant.”

DESIGN – 5.3
“A standard Blogger template. Normally this makes me want to jab the writer in the eye with a sharpened No. 2 pencil. However, Bookfraud's style of writing, ironic at least, somehow manages to overcome the droll template. We forgive you, Bookfraud.”

“One of the few down sides to this blog. Just a simple Blogger template that hasn't been modified.”

“There was something wrong with the side bar.”

“He screwed up his template somewhere, which pushed his sidebar to the bottom. I’ve done it myself, but I have to knock off another point from my standard 6 for a Blogger template. Pay someone to redesign it for you. It’s cheap and it’s worth it.”

“This is always the hardest category for me. If the content is good, I don't really care about the template much. But, since I guess ultimately I have to grade it based on the esthetics, I give it a 5.”

“Standard Blogger template but clean. Bonus points for including pictures in the posts.”

“Blogger template, right? Too plain. Boring. I give it points for simplicity and lack of ads and other crap in the sidebar, which was located at the bottom of the page for me.”

“Standard Blogger template, but clean, oh so very clean.”

“It's a typical template, not bad, not good.”

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR – 8.9
“Excellent. Bookfraud is a superb writer who just can't seem to get published. That's a damn shame, because Bookfraud is a great read.”

“He can write. A grammatical God. Proper usage of apostrophe. Doesn't have long, steamy affairs with ellipses. He tells an amazing story.”

“Well-written but dry in places. Could be that I'm just not edumacated enough to appreciate the prose in this site.”

“I couldn't stand to read much of it but I think in what I read the writing was acceptable. I could be wrong.”

“He writes in that sweet spot of using big words but none so big that I have to look any of them up. I love that. It's fun to read, and I feel smart. Very good writer.”

“You can definitely tell he's a writer. Even though the posts are long, they aren't too wordy.”


“I went in and really tried to like the writing but overall it was obscure and downright pretentious.”

“Very good writer. A perfect 10 is rare for me, but this one gets it.”

INTANGIBLES – 6.7
“Most of the posts were a little to long for my gnat-like attention span.”

“He's a clearly interesting, or at least he knows how to say mundane things in an interesting way.”

“I love that he's a dumb Jew. I'd give him an extra point for that, if I could.”

[This reviewer is Jewish. Stop sending e-mails about anti-Semitism.]

“Meh. Content is very specialized to writers, would-be writers, and liberals.”

“Long boring posts.”

“I really like this blog. Seems to me its kind of a 'well kept secret'. If the author ever had the desire to take the blog to its own domain and create a semi-nice design, then I'm sure he'd get a heck of a lot more readers.”

“The posts are a little longer than I like, but why penalize him for my short attention span?”

“The posts are too long for me.”

“He doesn't post all that often, maybe once a week. I always wonder about blogs like this in that would he be as entertaining if he posted every day? Can you appear smarter, funnier, etc. if you save it up for a week?”

FREQUENCY – 3.0
Bookfraud averages less than two posts a week, but it’s close enough for jazz.”

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY – 54% Yes
“Have been lurking there for months. I think I will come out of the closet now.”

“Hmmm … no, but only because I have to read so many these days. It would be on my blogroll if my blogroll were smaller.”

“Probably. I'm going to add it to my feed reader and give it a spin.”

“No.”

“While I wouldn't throw this blog into the category of ‘funny,’ I will definitely put it on my permanent read list because the writing is smart, solid and Bookfraud is one of the few really intelligent people I have seen in the blogworld.”

OVERALL – 79.2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home