BlogLaughs

Monday, February 12, 2007

Does This Mean I'm A Grown-Up?

The scores for Does This Mean I'm a Grown-Up? were all over the place, but it still almost made our current Top-50 list.

The first comment from our reviewers probably says more about our mixed review than any other.

CONTENT - 6.5
"It's not a 'funny' blog, but it is well-written and honest. The content is very good but it probably wasn't the best blog to review for humor content."

"I didn't find this blog to be incredibly funny, but it's still a good personal blog. Some 'mommy blog' type of posts are sneaked in here and there, but it's not an everyday thing, thank God."

"Wow. There's just so much ... nothing. It was like reading about the stuff that I should be doing, like laundry or cleaning out the car."

"Normally not my cup of tea, but her prose is imaginative and compelling. Plus she's actually very very funny."

"While the content seems to be fairly well written, I have a hard time relating to mommy blogs."

"While I didn't find the content to be 'laugh-a-minute,' it was strong and interesting enough that I kept reading and was rewarded with a funny bit here and there. Her accounts of daily life are wry and stealthily witty."

"Not bad ... nothing really stood out for me, though."

"Amusing 'slice of life' meets 'mommy blogger.'"

"It was a struggle for me to read through all the posts on the first page. I dug into the archives to give her the benefit of the doubt and to try and find something funny. I wasn't successful."

"Genuinely funny and makes the mundane interesting."

"Nothing really groundbreaking here. Lots of so-so posts about kids, motherhood, and other boring crap. She tries to make it entertaining, but it falls flat with me."

"Everyday topics I can identify with."

"Even the 'popular posts' didn't catch my attention really. And I tried. I really, really tried."

"It's standard parent blogging fare. I didn't discover much original thought."

"I didn't dip into the archives, however what was on the front page was reasonably interesting. At least enough so that I read it all, top to bottom, and didn't start squirming. Even though I found the posts interesting enough, possibly as I'm a parent of a teen and a pre-teen as well, there were only a couple that made me smile and one that made me laugh. Again, if I went into the archives that might change."

DESIGN - 7.7
"The theme is fantastic. It's very attractive and well done. The red-stripe-fade in the middle of the page looks cool, but it also detracts my eyes when I'm trying to read. Everything else is perfect."

"Love the design. It's orgasmic."

"I like the design, although the big ol' picture at the top of the screen might be a bit much."

"The design doesn't match the content. I was expecting a sultrier, sexier read based on the graphics."

"When I first clicked in I thought, 'Oooo!' Quite nice. Dark, but not overwhelming, and really a well balanced design. I'm jealous."

"It's pretty, I'll give it that. Bonus points for no flashing things."

"Unique."

"All the roses aren't my thing, but I won't let that stop me from giving her a nice score. Even though roses don't do it for me, she did a damn good job."

"The layout is good and easy to navigate but I really don't like the theme. It reminds me of a
Nagel poster form the 80s."

"Not a bad looking blog. The header image is attractive but I disliked the dark background, it made reading the posts a bit of a chore."

"Dark color scheme but appealing -- not dark in a gothic, mysterious way."

"Very nice design, but the banner was a little large. I'm also not a big fan of light-colored text on dark backgrounds."

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR - 7.2
"The writing is very good and I don't see any spelling or grammar errors."

"Well-written, nothing horribly wrong."

"Her writing style was easy to follow, almost a conversational feel. As for grammar, it all seemed well assembled, but I'm probably not the best judge."

"Not quite what your English teacher from high school might want, but certainly not bad. Her writing style is personal and engaging and the few mistakes I found weren't enough to turn me away."

"Vivid prose without getting sickly cute. She knows when to rein it in."

"Well-written 'life as she sees it,' yet nothing laugh-out-loud hysterical. Still, well-written, nonetheless."

"She has a working knowledge of grammar and punctuation."

"The quality of writing is impeccable but it is still difficult for me to get over the content. It's a well-written blog, just not my thing. Hopefully, she'll understand that without calling me a fatty."

INTANGIBLES - 7.2
"She needs to take off the use of the ALL CAPS and bold in the content. Too much of it detracts the reader from the message/story. I also thought the bold words contained links to old posts or Web sites."

"The only things I could find wrong were that the archive list shrank as you went back in time and there were a few weird characters in some of the posts."

"Sidebar is very clean and mostly ad-free. Posts are a good length. She doesn't post very often though."

"She seems so darn nice that I feel bad about not liking her writing more. I'm sure that says something about me."

"Nice organized sidebar. YAY for the lack of annoying ads!"

"The color scheme annoyed me."

"The bold words suck, and she gets a little long-winded sometimes, but there's not much else to bitch about."

"I just get a good feeling from this site. No ads is certainly a plus."

"Her posting frequency is quite low and, as I already mentioned, I found that the dark background made it hard for me to read the posts. Other than that, I enjoyed the posts that I read at her site."

FREQUENCY - 1.0
"No posts this month. Only six last month. None for the previous two months. Lives are busy but this category only counts for 5 percent of the score."

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG ON A REGULAR BASIS - 41% Yes
"There's nothing I don't like about it, but it doesn't really grab me either. Maybe because I'm not a 'mommy' myself. I'd read it in passing though."

"Yeah."

"No, there just wasn't anything there to grab my attention."

"Probably not."

"Yes. It's a good read, even though its not really a humor blog."

"No. She doesn't post often enough, and the writing doesn't compel me to keep checking in for the sporadic updates."

"Maybe two times a week."

"Probably not. While it was nice to visit, I'm not compelled to go back on a regular basis."

"Sure."

"Perhaps, although if she drops off again like she did in November and December I would likely drift away."

"I'm planning on adding it to my sidebar, yes."

"I wouldn't read this blog regularly. It just isn't my type of humor."

"No. However, to be honest, there are plenty of well-written books, autobiographies, and blogs out there that some folks latch onto and some do not. This particular blog did not inspire me to put it in my bookmarks despite it being a 'nice blog.'"

OVERALL - 71.2

3 Comments:

  • I like the dichotomy between this review and the previous review. 154 comments to zero.

    Oh, crap...154 to 1.

    By Blogger Derek Knight, at February 15, 2007 11:40 AM  

  • We don't care about the numbers, but it was nice not dealing with disgruntled readers.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at February 21, 2007 8:09 PM  

  • Wow! I totally missed this. Of course I had dropped off teh face of the earth when this was done (i.e. real life took precedence - gotta HATE when that happens!).

    All in all, I really do like the honest opinions. While the review wasn't "touchy-feely" oozing with "love," in my favor, it was dead on honest.

    I'm going to link to it. Thanks for reviewing my site!

    By Blogger Cattiva, at June 14, 2007 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home