BlogLaughs

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Monkey’s Deep Thoughts

We haven’t had a true “love it” or “hate it” blog in quite a while, but Monkey’s Deep Thoughts changed all of that.

Every single reviewer gave this blog either an 8 or 9, or a 4 or 5 for content. Ratings in other categories were all over the place but the positive scores helped push Monkey’s Deep Thoughts into our Top-50.

CONTENT – 6.0
“Cute, original in a primate kinda way."

“I never thought anybody could take something as inherently funny as monkeys and make them un-funny. Cute idea, but not my thing.”

“This isn't supposed to be a funny blog. It's more of a clever, ‘day in the life’ kind of blog than drop-dead funny. I’m sorry to keep going back to this, but this is still funnier than blogs featuring pictures of cats.”

"Yawn. Premise would be cute if I was 17."

“I enjoy the stuffed animal concept. If only I'd thought of it first.”

“Somewhat lame. The daily goings-on of a monkey puppet? Creative, though. Extra points for that.”

“It's kind of a one-trick pony blog. It's a cute enough idea, and it grew on me a little bit more the further I went back, but still, I would rate it mildly enjoyable at best. Somewhat clever, but nothing hilarious. “

“What the hell? I've heard of animal blogs, but a stuffed monkey? What happened in this person's childhood to come up with this?”

“I didn’t get it the first couple of times I checked it out. After Monkey spent a few days with Spinning Girl, I was hooked. I’ve been reading ever since.”

DESIGN – 6.0
“Standard Blogger template. Boring, but easy to read.”

“Snore.”

“Nothing special, looks like a basic Blogger template but at least it's clean and easy to read. Still, personally I like at least a little more pizzazz.”

“Standard Blogger template.”

“Blah. Basic green Blogger template.”

“For a standard template, its not too bad. I love the tagline at the end. That’s probably the funniest thing on the site.”

“Plain old Blogger template. I like green though, Extra point for that.”

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR – 7.3
“There is not a whole lot of writing, as half the gimmick is visual, but the author clearly can write clearly and well, which was refreshing.”

“Good, if not a bit ‘out there’ writing from the point of view of a stuffed primate.”

“There are some style issues that need to be addressed, but for a monkey, the writing isn't bad.”

“It's written by an unfunny monkey, so it's hard to complain. For a monkey, I guess it's okay.”

“Good.”

“Pretty good for a stuffed monkey.”

“For a monkey, the posts are well written, maybe a few were entertaining, but I didn't laugh. Although I am craving bananas.”

INTANGIBLES – 8.0
“Monkey is a very loyal reader/commenter of other blogs. That’s got to count for something.”

“I’m hoping the ‘Rated R’ notice is meant to be ironic. This site is ‘Rated G,’ not that there’s anything wrong with that.”

“What's with the R rating? Is it an inside joke or did this blogger get PMRC'd?”

"My only pet-peeve is the time I wasted trying to find something funny here."

“How does a monkey get so many comments? And why do I have to scroll endlessly? Thank goodness the blog has no pop-ups, or I'd have to hurl feces at my monitor.”

"It's a blog about a stuffed monkey for Gawd's sake. Is that not intangible enough for you?"

“Nothing really jumps out at me. Nothing pissed me off, nothing got me excited. Eh.”

“The blog seems to have a small but fiercely loyal readership, which seemed to return fairly unabated after a 7 month hiatus that ended in September. I don't think there is enough to the blog that will elevate it to much more popularity.”

FREQUENCY – 6.0
“Monkey has posted more than three times a week (which would be 6.0) since the recent hiatus, but we’re not comfortable going much higher because of the hiatus … if that makes any sense.”

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY – 44% Yes
“Doubtful, but I will pass the link on to others.”

“Already do.”

"I regret even reading it now."

“Now THAT'S funny!”

“Already do.”

"I would probably not read it regularly."

“Probably not. It's a cute idea but I don't see myself going back on a regular basis to see what the monkey is up to.”

OVERALL – 70.1

13 Comments:

  • monkey has, and will always, rule in my book.

    long live that little fuzzy poo-throwing primate!

    By Blogger jamwall, at October 26, 2006 6:37 AM  

  • The political ad you posted about Monkey was great. :)

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at October 26, 2006 8:34 AM  

  • Sorry Peoples, I think some of you missed the point. Monkey is a bonafide Super Hero, he told me so himself, and as such we are all indebted to him for preserving Peace, Love and the Simian way.

    Vote 1, Monkey!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 26, 2006 6:17 PM  

  • How anyone can't love a cuddly gay monkey with a giant hoo-hah is just beyond me.

    By Blogger Tits McGee, at October 27, 2006 6:52 AM  

  • He's gay?

    I thought he just liked back rubs.

    By Blogger Calzone, at October 27, 2006 11:16 AM  

  • I'm surprised it didn't score higher.

    By Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz, at October 27, 2006 7:01 PM  

  • Rich: Your comment is a perfect example of what we have here. For every person who raves about Monkey, there is another who says, "WTF? There is no point."

    Liking or disliking blogs is subjective. Neither person is wrong, just different. That's what makes the world go 'round.

    Tits: It's a travesty!

    (Man, I had such a crush on Blair.)

    Calzone: I heard that everyone who likes backrubs is gay. That's what I heard.

    SFChick: I knew this would be a mixed review, but I didn't think the scores would be so polorizing. We didn't have one person who said, "This is OK."

    It was truly "love it" or "hate it."

    With a site like this, not everyone is going to drink the Kool-Aid ... or even understand why anyone would like it in the first place.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at October 28, 2006 6:00 AM  

  • I love that expression: "drink the Kool-Aid".

    I thought this was a lot of fun. Regardless of Monkey's score, it has generated a lot of traffic towards his blog. Originally, I started Monkey for a few crazy people in "real life". His "fiercely loyal readership" in blogland has been an unexpected bonus.

    Thanks again,
    Monkey's Human

    By Blogger Monkey, at October 28, 2006 6:42 AM  

  • Put me on the *Love Monkey* list.

    ~Lace~

    By Blogger BlackVelvetLace, at October 28, 2006 9:11 PM  

  • Monkey: Yeah, there's a new documentary about Jim Jones' cult (where they all drank Kool-Aid to committ mass suicide). It's getting really good reviews.

    I hear "drink the Kool-Aid" a lot in reference to sports fans buying in to what management of their favorite team is doing.

    Nothing says "loyalty" like drinking the Kool-Aid. :)

    I think the comments here and on your blog are a perfect example of this. That's got to feel better than anything the detractors can say.

    Blackvelvetlace: Duly noted. :)

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at October 29, 2006 6:52 AM  

  • Hehehe. PS I also love Neilbymouths blog. Pete Townshend (of the WHO) thinks it's pretty funny too.

    http://neilbymith1.blogspot.com/

    I think one of my favorites is *Military Family* posted on 2/23/06.

    http://neilbymith1.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_neilbymith1_archive.html


    ~Lace~

    By Blogger BlackVelvetLace, at October 30, 2006 8:37 PM  

  • I'm confused by those that slammed the template - of all things. Have you looked at this template lately?

    I'm kidding of course. No offense.

    How does one get to be a reviewer here? Have no sense of humor and years of pent-up anger and frustration?

    I'm kidding of course. No offense.

    By Blogger Scarlet Hip, at October 31, 2006 6:25 PM  

  • Blackvelvetlace: I'll check it out. Thanks.

    Brookelina: If you talking about the template here at BlogLaughs, a redesign is in the works.

    However, we've never claimed to be anything but a clearinghouse for people to discuss the quality of different humorous blogs in an open, honest forum.

    Yes, this blog currently has a standard Blogger template that deserves no higher than a 6 from our reviewers. We perfectly accept that.

    On the other hand, just because this particular site does not have a brilliant design does not mean the opinions of our reviewers are not valid.

    Many of our reviewers happen to be top-notch designers. Others don't have the skills for design but know what they like. Some others don't care about the design of a blog at all.

    This site is not about "we're right" and "you're wrong." We all have equal rights to state our opinions. I'm very happy you gave yours.

    As for becoming a reviewer, all you have to do is request to be put on the reviewer's list. (Send an e-mail to bloglaughs@hotmail.com.)

    I send out one e-mail each week. It's all very simple. The more opinions we can gather, the better.

    Of course, if you believe one of the prerequisits is no sense of humor and years of pent-up anger and frustration, you should fit right in. We'd be happy to have you.

    No offense, of course.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at October 31, 2006 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home