BlogLaughs

Friday, August 11, 2006

little.yellow.different.

In the six years Ernie Hsiung has been writing little.yellow.different., he’s been nominated for a fistful of Bloggie awards, including a lifetime achievement award. He didn’t win that one, but he’s won almost everything else. (Check out the 2003 awards. Damn!)

“This is a very good blog. It's professionally designed and an excellent read - a rare combination. Go Ernie!”

CONTENT - 6.8
“You’ve got to give it up for a guy who’s been blogging since 2000, but this blog just isn’t as good as it used to be.”

“Good, solid posts. Love his Reno versus Vegas perceptions. Dead on the money.”

“Tales of immigrant kids growing up are very near and dear to my heart.”

“Ernie has a good sense of humor, but this is not necessarily a humor blog. I don’t know if it’s even a humorous blog anymore.”

DESIGN - 8.0
“Professional. Nice color. Nice layout.”

“This site is very well organized. I liked the ‘about’ page.”

“Clean-looking design but really ugly color. Also, I had trouble figuring out how to navigate the site. Like where are the archives? I gave up.”

“I like the ability to change the skin to honor his crushing loss on The Weakest Link. Cool.”

“This is easily one of the best-looking blog designs I’ve ever seen. It doesn’t preform as well as it should, but that makes it a 9 in my book.”

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR - 7.7
“Well-written.”

“Good grammar – punctuation needs a bit of neatening up – however it doesn't detract from this reader's enjoyment.”

“Very good.”

“I saw some typos.”

“Good writing, but not great.”

INTANGIBLES - 7.8
“The blog/mini-blog thing confused me.”

“Do they still make Nuprin?”

“Hey, where's the blogroll? Just because you're big and famous, doesn't mean you shouldn't give props to your fellow bloggers. This is a pet peeve for me, two points off.”

“No ads, but the archives and mini-blog posts are just not reader-friendly.”

FREQUENCY - 1.0
“Ernie still posts, just not on a regular basis.”

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY - 40% Yes
“I would read it regularly. I've read it before.”

“Maybe, if he posted a litte more often. I usually enjoy writers who talk about San Francsico since I used to live there.”

“Occasionally ... not regularly.”

“I used to, but I gave up on him.”

“Most definitely.”

“I might. I've not decided yet.”

“Let's wait and see. I added it to my faves.”

“I might put it on my list of blog feeds, but he just doesn’t post enough to visit regularly.”

OVERALL - 73.9
Good scores for design, writing, and intangibles led the way for little.yellow.different., but “humor content” is 70 percent of the score here at BlogLaughs.

“I liked everything about this blog, but I get the impression its running on fumes. Don’t get me wrong. It’s better than most blogs out there, but it’s a shell of its former glory.”

4 Comments:

  • Hey, Ernie ...

    Thanks for the link, but I don't think I'd call your current rating a D- on our current scoring scale.

    Because we have more than 50 reviewers, I've come to the conclusion no blog is going to score what would be construed as an "A" (90-100).

    (I'm actually thinking of making a simple change in the overall score to make our 100-point scoring system more palatable.)

    Anyway, little.yellow.different. is in 25th place of the 45 blogs we have reviewed at this point.

    Most of these blogs are supposed to be the "best humor blogs" on the Internet. Being listed among the top-25 should not be taken as a negative review.

    I'm sorry if some of the comments seem harsh. To get the most honest opinions, we have to allow our reviewers to make both positive and negative comments.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at August 14, 2006 8:10 AM  

  • BTW, if any of you new readers would like to help us review blogs, just send an e-mail to bloglaughs@hotmail.com and I'll put you on the list.

    I only send three links each week and all you have to do is give a 1-10 rating in the first four categories, then answer whether or not you'd read the blog on a regular basis.

    You don't have to make comments. If you're busy, you can skip any blogs you don't want to review.

    No pressure. No problems. It's all very simple and easy for our reviewers.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at August 14, 2006 8:18 AM  

  • Even if you grade on the curve, 25th out of 45 is still C- or so, no?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 17, 2006 12:05 PM  

  • C- is probably about right.

    Of course, since we have reviewed all of the nominees and finalists from the recent Bloggies and Best of Blogs contests, many of these blogs are considered the best of the best.

    One of the main reasons we started this site was because bloggers complain that the contests don't always feature the best blogs.

    So, we decided to put that theory to the test, grading all of these blogs on the same scale.

    There is no perfect way to compare blogs, but it's fun to bring up the conversation.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at August 18, 2006 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home