BlogLaughs

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Peevery

A pet peeve is a minor annoyance that can instill extreme frustration in an individual. Typically each person has several pet peeves that aggravate him or her more than the average person. Another person may not react as negatively or at all to the same circumstance.

That, my friends, is always the rub here at BlogLaughs.

The Peevery aggravated a few of our reviewers, but most of the scores were fairly positive.

CONTENT – 6.7
“I'm totally engaged by the assortment of posts, and have literally laughed out loud even. I may even have guffawed, too.”

“I love to bitch and complain, so it was right down my alley!”

“The content was only average.”

“With that many contributors, there better be more than one post per day. The short one-liners were always good for a chuckle.”

“While oftentimes blogs with completely random topics have annoyed me, I find this blog to be really funny.”

“Not funny.”

“I couldn't help myself, I clicked the poop etiquette link. Laughed out loud through the entire thing and forwarded the link to some friends. Crazy. I thought I was beyond the bathroom humor stage.”

“Is this supposed to be funny?”

DESIGN – 7.9
“The look of the design is a little too simple, but the functionality of the design is downright admirable. Every post is archived by category. The blogroll is done through del.icio.us. The design works.”

“Clean, straightforward, unique.”

“Nice and clean. I think I like the blogroll. I couldn't quite figure it out (didn't try real hard) but it looks like its categorized rather than just listing the names of a bazillion blogs. I like that idea.”

“It’s a simple, well-done design with a sweet color palate.”

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR – 7.2
“Good solid writing from an assortment of contributors. Consistent.”

“I find the writing to be well-done in most cases, despite the fact that there are multiple posters, which I would think would leave the potential for poor quality writing wide open.”

“These people are average writers, which in the blog-world should be considered a compliment. I like the short posts.”

INTANGIBLES – 8.7
“No ads, no problems, nothing. I guess this gets a perfect score.”

“Most of their commenters are themselves, what's up with that?”

“I really like the short posts - it makes it easy to read a couple for a quick laugh and go back for more later, rather than having to get involved in reading a long story.”

“The del.icio.us links are so fucking awesome. I’m totally stealing this idea for my blog.”

“They take donations for public classroom projects, but its not like they’re whoring themselves for Google. It’s a 10 in my book.”

“Thankfully, no pet peeves at a blog about pet peeves. Man, that’s deep.”

FREQUENCY – 10
The Peevery features at least one or two posts a day.”

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY – 50% Yes
“Not my kind of blog.”

“Added it to my faves.”

“I might check in with it sometimes, but many of the blogs on my blogroll are funnier than The Peevery.”

“Very likely.”

“Nah. I’ll pass.”

OVERALL – 78.8
High scores for frequency, intangibles and design lead some very good secondary numbers. The Peevery would have landed higher on the list with higher scores for content.

“It’s not the funniest blog out there, but it’s a very good blog nonetheless.”

4 Comments:

  • Thank you. I appreciate the review and your comments, especially the ones pertaining to the quality of the writing. That is the area I emphasize the most when taking on new contributors. I agree that the Peevers are not the funniest bloggers around, but we are usually too irritated to care.

    By Blogger Peeved Michelle, at August 07, 2006 11:54 AM  

  • You're welcome. If you look around at some of our reviews, it's pretty obvious that humor really is subjective.

    Thanks for stopping by and adding our link to your de.licio.us site.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at August 07, 2006 8:14 PM  

  • Not really. I place a link to each site under "coming soon" at least a week before the site is reviewed.

    (I would gladly pull a site from being reviewed at an owner's request.)

    Most bloggers track the link back here from their site meter and do some digging around prior to the review.

    So far, I haven't heard anything negative from anyone who has had their blog reviewed but I know it will happen.

    I had originally planned on sending an e-mail to each blogger prior to the review to get some background information. However, I ran into some problems getting a good contact for one the first couple of blogs we were going to do, so I decided to scrap it.

    Besides, gathering backgound information and writing a short synopsis for each blog is too much work. I already have a full-time job. :)

    The Blog Reader does a much better job doing that sort of thing anyway, so I figured we'd focus on the anonymous comments from our reviewers and let our readers check out each blog for themselves.

    Check out The Blog Reader here:
    http://theblogreader.net/

    So, to answer your question, no. It would be nice if we did, but we don't.

    Besides, I kind of like the idea of giving "unsolicited constructive criticism." I think it makes the site a little more edgy.

    I also didn't realize how long some of these posts were going to be. I try to stay out of it and let our reviewers' comments tell the story.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at August 10, 2006 11:30 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 29, 2006 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home