BlogLaughs

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Margaret Cho’s Blog

Margaret Cho’s Blog is a long-time favorite of many bloggers, but new readers shouldn’t expect a rehash of her stand-up comedy routine.

“Margaret Cho is a comedienne, so you would think this blog would be funny. I agree with all of her political rants and everything, but this is really not a humorous blog. It’s more of an old-school Web log diary from someone who happens to be famous.”

CONTENT – 6.1
“Let me start by saying that I love Margaret Cho. She is a brilliant comedian and a wonderful advocate for the various causes she gets behind. Having said that … what the hell is up with her blog? This is a very different Margaret Cho than you see on Showtime or HBO. This is the MC that I tend to admire more than find amusement in. There is not too much in the way of funny going on in this blog. Most of her humor comes wrapped in a tortilla of political satire with a side order of equal rights instead of refried beans. But, because I love me some Margaret Cho, she can read the phonebook and I would be a fan.”

“I expected the blog to be funny, but it was more like the opposite. It was serious and kind of a downer.”

“She makes a living with her perceptions and her wit, what's not to like? I've been a fan of hers since her TV show.”

“Her posts are interesting, but not really funny in and of themselves.”

“Margaret Cho is funny, but this blog is not. The humor content is no better than a 3. It’s more of a fan site.”

“Vinegary, bawdy, earthy and real is how I'd qualify this.”

“This is a good, professional blog, just not something I'm interested in.”

DESIGN – 6.1
“Professional, pink, yet unquestionably Margaret Cho’s blog.”

“A bit messy, with a three-column layout that doesn't divide the page in an equitable fashion. Not bad though.”

“It's OK, and not too bad on the eyes, but it's too crowded in the sidebars. In fact the right sidebar is almost as big as the main content column in the middle.”

“I’m beginning to believe that three-column designs just look cluttered. This is a perfect example. The colors are kind of weird too.

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR – 7.1
“If nothing else, Margaret Cho is a brilliant writer. She has the ability to write the way she speaks and convey her messages in the most graceful ways.”

“Wide range of topics, mainly covering correspondence from her fans and issues they want to hear her write about.”

“She’s a good writer, but this is not really entertaining writing. Some posts are much better than others.”

INTANGIBLES – 5.7
“Not very interesting to me. Humorous posts are few and far between, and I'm necessarily enthralled to read everything Ms. Cho has an opinion about.”

“Hawking her wares. I know a bitch has to make a living, but it is too ‘up in your face’ for my taste.”

“She’s involved in the gay and lesbian community, but I've always wondered if she, herself, is gay. It doesn't make that big of a difference to me, but has she ever addressed this?”

“I am puzzled as to why she had to put a link to each and every post into ‘archives.’”

FREQUENCY – 3.0
“The frequency probably depends on her schedule, but she has averaged about 1-2 posts a week lately.”

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY – 23% Yes
“Yes, I would, but not for the laughs.”

“Nah, not a fan.”

“Prior to this, I have read her on occasion.”

“Definitely not.”

“I'll stop back by on sometimes, but it won't be a daily read.”

“No, not my cup of tea, although I respect the author's intent.”

OVERALL – 66.0
At least 90 percent of our reviewers gave Margaret Cho’s Blog either a 6 or a 10 for content. However, none of those people who gave it a 10 clearly stated they would read this blog on a regular basis. Lots of respect, but not a whole lot of love for Ms. Cho.

“It’s a random diary she obviously writes for herself. That’s great for her and her hardcore fans, but it probably doesn’t mean that much to anyone else.”

2 Comments:

  • Her blog content has changed considerably from having been mostly political to now promoting her new burlesque show or her husband's videos (artofbleeding.com). The cutoff seems to have happened when she broke up with her manager/business partner who was probably pushing her to be political.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 08, 2006 1:29 PM  

  • Thanks for the info.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at August 08, 2006 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home