BlogLaughs

Monday, September 11, 2006

little.red.boat

Anna Pickard’s little.red.boat is one of the most popular British blogs in history. It has been honored with several Bloggies nominations and victories over the past five years.

Not surprisingly, our reviewers felt the same way.

CONTENT - 8.3
"For me, little.red.boat is a genuine peek inside a life I would normally never know. I’m American and I really don’t care about anything going on in England. Somehow, Anna made me care about something across the pond. She’s a very good writer, and I appreciate the life she shares with us."

"I enjoyed the swear word of the day."

"It’s just OK. Nothing all that funny."

"Anna is fucking hilarious!"

"Aside from a few too long posts and random acts of bad grammar, I have to say that I enjoyed this blog."

"I hide behind the anonymity of my blog, so I always admire someone who puts themselves out there for all the world to see."

DESIGN - 6.8
"Very clean and easy to read."

"The font was a little too small."

"Nothing special. The colors are annoying."

"The original graphic gets big points from me, but the frames are a little distracting. This design is still much better than most. Good job."

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR - 8.2
"The quality of writing is very good."

"The story behind calling this blog little.red.boat is simply wonderful. Read that and you’ll understand why I think this blog is so good. The writing is impeccable."

"I don’t like poetry, but the other posts are very good."

"The writing is very conversational. I get lost with some of the British colloquialisms, but that’s part of this blog’s charm."

INTANGIBLES - 7.3
"One day, I'll figure out how people justify the donation buttons."

"No ads, but she does have a wish list and a donate button. I’m fine with that, but I know it pisses some people off."

"Anna mentioned my blog once, so I’m biased. It’s still a really good blog, no?"

"Some of the posts are just too damn long. I have to be in the right mood to read a long post and I’m usually not in that kind of mood."

"I wish she offered a complete version of her posts for feed readers. I love her blog, but I hate extra clicks."

FREQUENCY - 10
"Anna has averaged better than five posts a week the past two years. [God, I love those monthly archive numbers.]"

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY - 62% Yes
"Sure."

"I'd pop in sometimes."

"I already do."

"Nope. Not my kind of blog."

"I used to read it, but the posts are just too long."

OVERALL - 90.5

3 Comments:

  • Anna, sorry for putting you through this. I know some of the bluntness can be harsh, but it just goes to show how people can look at the same thing and see something different.

    I purposely juxtaposed the "nothing all that funny" and "fucking hilarious" comments next to each other. :)

    I like feed readers, so I'll stand on my soapbox about that for a few seconds ...

    For me, some really good blogs are so infrequent a feed reader is almost a necessity. Since I have about 30 of those kind of blogs on my reading list, it just makes sense to catch up on ALL of my daily reads at the same time.

    When I get to a site without a full feed, I usually let out a little curse word. :)

    That extra click -- and the time waiting for the page to load --will not make or break my day.

    However, my mind doesn't compute that at the moment. I'm still a little peeved, even if it's just a few seconds.

    Since "feed readers" make up a very small segment of most blog readers, why not be accomodating to those people?

    Either way, it's not that big of a deal. I love the idea that each individual blogger has the freedom to do whatever they want. No one should ever bow down to criticism.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at September 11, 2006 9:00 AM  

  • BTW, an e-mail service would be fine if it included the entire post.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at September 11, 2006 9:12 AM  

  • That is true, but you can keep track of the number of subscribers at the different feed sites.

    At Bloglines, for instance, you have five different feeds available with a total of 150 subscribers.

    I don't know how many readers you average each day, but I'm sure those 150 readers are a small percentage for you.

    (That's a compliment. I think I have 11 subscribers through Bloglines right now.) :)

    BTW, I hate smileys too, but I find myself writing them after almost every sentence when talking with people on the Internet. :)

    ... see? :)

    Also, don't worry about not reviewing, making grammar mistakes, taking donations, or anything else.

    Do your own thing. Let your freak-flag fly!

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at September 11, 2006 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home