BlogLaughs

Monday, June 26, 2006

Blogography

It looks like we have a new sheriff in town ... and his name isn’t Reggie Hammond.

No. His name is David Simmer II.

Blogography set a new high mark with an average, cumulative score of 97.3.

Of course, in typical Bloglaughs fashion, while some of our reviewers loved Blogography ...

"Remember on Seinfeld when George had a ‘man crush’ on that guy from MTV Sports? That’s how I am with Dave. I want to turn my hat around backwards and be just like him. He’s such a cool guy. ... I realize I’ll always be more like George Costanza, but a guy can dream, can’t he?"

Others? Not so much ...

"This blog is probably great for people who like Family Circus or Garfield."

CONTENT - 8.6
"Dave doesn’t try to be funny. He doesn’t even consider his blog a humor blog. Of course, he wrote about that the other day and the post was fucking hilarious."

"I love Dave. I have loved him since the moment I discovered him from the bitches over at I Talk Too Much. He did their graphics and I fell in love from that point on. He is funny in a very humble and understated 'please love me' sort of way. Kind of reminds me of a little hound dog puppy that just wants to be cuddled ... just before he pees on you for shits and giggles."

"The posts are pretty tame. Reading this reminds me of listening to pop music. I don't find it interesting, but soccer moms might be entertained."

"Doesn’t everyone read Dave already? Dave is the best."

"Dave’s humor is subtle, understated, and perfect."

DESIGN - 8.7
"I swear, if this design isn’t a 10 I don’t know what is. Dave is the best page designer out there."

"He is an artist and so, his layout is impeccable. The color combo of black white and shades of purple are very complimentary. I love his use of text blocks for conversations. His graphics are bright and colorful without being overwhelming or overshadowing the content of his posts. I also adore the use of tabs at the top of his page to find content."

"Clean, reader-friendly, nothing to complain about."

"I don’t love this blog, but the design is great."

"Dave’s original graphics are nothing short of genius. There is no one who can compare."

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR - 8.9
"Dave’s artwork is the star, but his writing is very good."

"Impeccable."

"No issues."

"Dave says he only takes 10 minutes to write a blog entry with no graphics. When he draws a graphic to go with it, he says it only takes him 20-25 minutes. I hate him. I have stared at a computer screen for hours, only to come up with a whole lot of nothing. This 10-minute thing pisses me off!"

"Dave wrote an entry recently about putting quotation marks in the wrong place on purpose. I love Dave, but that post still bothers me."

INTANGIBLES - 8.9
"Oy, the ads. Ads everywhere. Fortunately, most of them are for his own product hocking. Since he's an artist, I am okay with that. He is a Mac head. For that, I am deducting a point simply because I can. Mac heads tend to be snobs. But, Dave's a cool snob. I will give him back that point because of his use of his own photographs as personalized emoticons. I like that. But I am taking back that same point, for his sidebar being longer than Ron Jeremy's schlong."

"No problems."

"I think I have four Blogography shirts right now, and I can’t wait until he comes out with some new ones. I don’t even mind when people ask me what ‘Bad Monkey’ means. It’s the price I pay to wear such a cool shirt."

"Perfect score. Nothing here pisses me off."

"He sells t-shirts, but that’s not so bad. It’s not like he’s whoring himself out for Google."

FREQUENCY - 10
"Dave posts everyday, sometimes more when he can’t sleep."

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY - 88% Yes
"Already do!"

"I would definitely read this blog again. I think the writing is witty, funny, and very entertaining. I've come across the blog once before, and I thought it was great."

"Very Doubtful."

"I’ve been reading Blogography since the BoB awards. It’s the best all-around blog on the Internet."

OVERALL - 97.3
Aside from being our top-rated blog to date, Blogography set new high marks for content, intangibles, and read regularly. Blogography managed several perfect scores.

"I give Blogography perfect 10's all across. It's a flawless blog that never ceases to amuse me. Beautifully designed and written, I wish the entire world was as pleasant a place to visit!"

7 Comments:

  • I think it goes to show there are plenty of really good blogs the masses just don't know about.

    I wouldn't call Blogography a secret, but its still a very good blog.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 26, 2006 1:09 PM  

  • Blogography a secret?

    Oh no no no. Dave's stuff is on sidebars all around the world.

    He's just that good.

    For a Mac guy.

    CP.

    By Blogger CP, at June 26, 2006 2:40 PM  

  • Blogography is very good, and it does have several readers and links, but some of these blogs we've reviewed have outragous numbers.

    Dooce, Jason Mulgrew, many of the early bloggers, have such a headstart on most people.

    One of Dave's commenters today mentioned something about "Dooce getting 264 comments over a picture of a shoe?" That's stupid popularity.

    I don't mean "stoopid" like the pseudo-cool kids say. I mean stupid.

    (BTW, the guy who made that analogy is here: http://viewfromthecloud.blogspot.com/)

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 26, 2006 3:39 PM  

  • I finally made it over to Dave's. It's the truth - he *is* hilarious. All those years of poking around the blogosphere reading random people's stuff have finally paid off... this is truly a good read! I'm going to link to him right now.

    By Blogger Goldie, at June 27, 2006 6:48 AM  

  • Goldie: Yesterday, I saw where one of Dave's readers said he hated rating blogs. But the thing is, *this* is what this blog is all about.

    Finding really good blogs that are "new to you" is the best thing. We're just here to help.

    Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 27, 2006 8:04 AM  

  • Funny stuff - nice site yourself.

    Ben O.

    By Blogger Ben O., at June 27, 2006 8:29 AM  

  • Thanks, Ben, but BlogLaughs has some real flaws right now.

    Our design is only about a 4 or 5, and that really screws up most people's general perception of this blog.

    We also need to explain the review process a lot better and make the whole thing a lot more reader-friendly.

    (I've finally got some concrete ideas for a redesign. The main problem now is conveying those thoughts to a top-notch Web designer.)

    Since the writing on this blog is submitted by several reviewers, the content, quality, etc. is different from review to review. Some are funnier, snottier, meaner, or more boring than others.

    We probably can't do more than three reviews a week (M-W-F), so our score for frequency will never be more than a 6. That's not too bad.

    Basically, I'm admitting *this* site does not do some of the things our reviewers gripe about. But that's OK.

    I guess I should have just said, "Thank you." :)

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 27, 2006 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home