BlogLaughs

Friday, June 16, 2006

JonnyB’s Private Secret Diary

JonnyB’s Private Secret Diary gives us glimpse at life inside a cottage in rural Norfolk, England. This became of particular interest to a few of our reviewers.

“I gave this blog a bit of a break on the scoring because I think I’m missing something in the translation. As an American, I’m sure I’m not picking up on some of the humor. Of course, that being said, maybe it’s just not all that funny.”

“When I first dove in, I thought, ‘Oh my God, this is boring. I don’t know if I can even read enough of it to give this blog a fair review.’ It took me a minute to figure out that apparently this guy is from England or something. (Yeah, I'm a little slow like that.) Once I got that in my head and got used to the British lingo and so forth, well hell, then things were great! It’s actually funny!”

CONTENT – 6.1
“I found this blog to be incredibly boring. Excellent for my chronic insomnia, though. Am I missing the humor here?”

“Amusing personal anecdotes. Original, and mostly-engaging material.”

“Very good writing. My only complaint it, it is hard to pay attention when each post is essentially about the same couple and their house. Very entertaining nonetheless.”

“It wasn't bad, but no laugh out loud moments. It was like I was reading tidbits of a longer story.”

“I like the blogs about normal every day stupid things that everyone does but never actually discusses.”

DESIGN – 5.4
“Plain, uninspired and clean. I like that.”

“A little boring for my taste.”

“Not much of a design at all.”

“Uncluttered, straightforward, nothing fancy.”

“Boring! Apparently ‘plain white blogs’ is this week’s theme.”

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR – 7.3
“The writing is fine though someone needs to make better use of the spell check feature on his computer.”

“Good use of grammar, engages the reader.”

“Once I got past the Britishness, the writing and grammar were fine.”

INTANGIBLES – 7.5
“I have no issue with this blog at all, except for the fact that it is exceedingly dull. Ergo, I give it an 8.”

“No ads, but the design is so boring and the posts are kind of long.”

“I like it when the author takes time to introduce himself.”

“I'd like the entries to be titled.”

FREQUENCY – 6.0
“Pretty steady three times a week.”

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY – 40% Yes
“I’ve tried to read this blog regularly a couple of times, but I always give up. It’s just not for me. Sorry.”

“Perhaps once a week.”

“Very likely.”

“Hell, no!”

“I enjoyed this blog. Of course, 360,000 readers can't be wrong. Will definitely bookmark it.”

OVERALL – 69.8
Mixed reviews kept JonnyB’s Secret Private Diary from getting too far up the charts.

“This is supposed to be a pretty popular blog, but I just don’t get it.”

6 Comments:

  • Boooooo I am too English...

    Heh heh... Genuinely bemused by the Spellchecker reference (especially as you have spelt 'humour' wrong) - but I liked this and the way you laid it out.

    By Blogger JonnyB, at June 16, 2006 9:09 AM  

  • Americans spell "humor" wrong on purpose. :)

    Sorry some of our reviewers got a little rough. I'm glad you're not too upset.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 16, 2006 9:35 AM  

  • Sorry I haven't been a faithful reviewer lately. I have just recently been able to sit at my computer.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at June 16, 2006 12:53 PM  

  • That's OK. I've been swamped at work this week myself.

    We have a lot of reviewers who come in and out. Feel free to jump back in at any time. No hassles.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 17, 2006 7:57 AM  

  • I think this the first time one of them commented here. Untitledlife posted a link to the our review in her "del.icio.us Clickables" section, but that was about it.

    We'll be getting into some smaller blogs over the next few weeks and I would imagine those people would be more likely to comment.

    This review wasn't necessarily a ringing endorsement so I was pretty impressed with Jonny for jumping in to comment.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 19, 2006 8:18 AM  

  • I'm shocked by the diverse opinions too. I really was expecting there to be more agreement. It seems like there's always at least a few reviewers who really love or hate a every blog.

    I can see it with some of the blogs we've reviewed, but its been every single blog.

    Either way, I still think the reviews have been relatively fair.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at June 19, 2006 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home