BlogLaughs

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dave Barry’s Blog

Dave Barry’s Blog is one the funniest blogs on the Internet, according to Yahoo!

Thing is, if you’re expecting Dave Barry’s Blog to be similar to his weekly syndicated columns, you will be clearly disappointed.

Dave Barry’s Blog is nothing but a compilation of links to other sites. It’s kind of like Fark but not as in-depth.”

“Dave Barry probably has nothing to do with this site. It’s probably updated by his cousin Larry or some flunky assistant. This might as well be ‘Joe Blow’s List of Crappy Links.’ It has nothing to do with Dave Barry.”

CONTENT – 4.5
“Totally random, which usually doesn't bother me much. This time it did. I'm taking off lots of points because it’s not even anything he wrote, its all stuff submitted by other people and he doesn't comment on it or anything! Where is his effort in this blog? Secondly, I didn't happen across anything that was even funny. I did not laugh even once reading through this blog.”

“He doesn't really write much original content. It's mostly just links to other stories/sites sent in by his readers ala Fark.”

“I used to read his newspaper columns, at least he sort of wrote those. This blog appears to be nothing but links to other articles.”

“Ugh, no, I don't want to navigate back and forth. Give me something besides the links, Dave.”

“What content? It's tons and tons of links. It's not the Dave Barry I know and loved from my local newspaper back in New York or Miami. Tons of links to crap.”

DESIGN – 5.9
“Corporate blah! I liked the simple design of his old Blogspot site better.”

“For something corporate it's not too annoying. There were no ads and you can comment.”

“Professional, unique.”

“Too cluttered.”

“It's clean I guess but almost to the point of being antiseptic. I find it extremely boring and unattractive.”

“Ad overload. Ad nauseum.”

QUALITY OF WRITING/GRAMMAR – 3.7
“He doesn’t write anything. He gets no points from me.”

“Good writing, entertaining entries.”

“He doesn't write much original content. Less effort equals less points.”

"Biggest disappointment of any blog I've ever visited."

“With an average of five words per post, you can't go wrong.”

"What writing? Am I missing something here? Mr. Barry did not write! Saying, ‘Here, click this link to go read something that was forwarded to me’ does not count as blog writing. Sorry. I'm giving a couple points here because the people who did write the items did a fairly good job of it.”
“He barely writes anything, but what he does write is written like a pro.”

INTANGIBLES – 4.7
“Ads and links with little information. I hate this site.”

“I could only take a point off. I never thought I'd do it for the posts being too short. There could be one or two more sentences per post. Even Fark puts in a little more effort.”

“This blog hits several pet peeves. I want to go to the blog and read it, not click to get to each post. It gave me pop-up ads. My anti-virus program went berserk because the Web site was trying to get my husband's social security number (what the heck?). Plus, there's stupid ads ... classmates.com? Puhleeze.”

“Too many links and ads. Extremely short posts that link me somewhere else.”

FREQUENCY – 10.0
“There are several posts at Dave Barry’s Blog every day.”

WOULD YOU READ THIS BLOG REGULARLY – 18% Yes
“Hell no!”

“I used to, I might again.”

“Nope. If I'm looking for a frequently updated page with funny links, I'll go to Fark.com.”

“Ocassionally.”

“Only if my life depended on it. I really, really didn't like it.”

“No. Give me the newspaper Dave Barry.”

OVERALL – 55.5
When a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist barely avoids getting our lowest score for writing, you know something is wrong.

Our reviewers differed on how they scored Dave Barry’s Blog, but the comments were almost unanimous.

“I am a huge fan of Dave Barry, but this is too much.”

“I used to read Dave Barry in syndication in my newspaper many moons ago and I remember thinking he was a funny guy, so I was anxious to view his blog and see what he had in store for me. I was so disappointed! Sorry, Mr. Barry, but your blog is not funny. It annoyed the crap out of me. I won't be coming back.”

5 Comments:

  • Everything you say might be true but still the site is so popular and so many people visit it. Why?

    By Blogger yasser, at July 05, 2006 10:46 AM  

  • I like your idea and your blog a lot though - you dont mind criticizing popular blogs.

    By Blogger yasser, at July 05, 2006 10:51 AM  

  • I think the main reason so many people visit Dave Barry's Blog is because they are fans of his. If Dave likes it, it must be funny. Right?

    That's OK, but it's not really a blog. He writes nothing for this blog.

    As for your second comment, the popular blogs are easier for our reviewers to criticize.

    The smaller blogs are written by people who may actually visit this site and take these comments to heart. Some of them are pretty harsh, so it can be difficult for a blogger to read such things about his or her self.

    By Blogger BlogLaughs, at July 05, 2006 11:11 AM  

  • Yeah, it's for fans to simply get their Dave Barry fix.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at July 05, 2006 5:41 PM  

  • I also thought it was misleading when I first went to Dave Barry's blog. Why call it that if he doesn't write the material? Does he even read his own blog?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 10, 2006 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home